Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Chicken filled with creamy plantain and tasty prosciutto... what could be better? :)
Make and share this Chicken Stuffed With Plantain and Prosciutto recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup peeled chopped ripe plantain (yellow with black spots)
- 1⁄2 cup cubed peeled boniato (Cuban sweet potato) or 1⁄2 cup tan-skinned sweet potato, in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 pinch cumin, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon Mexican crema
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 slices prosciutto (make sure they're large enough to cover flattened meat, or use extra pieces) or 6 serrano ham (make sure they're large enough to cover flattened meat, or use extra pieces)
- all-purpose flour, for dredging
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup no-salt-added chicken stock or 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- In a small saucepan place the plantain and boniato (or yam) and add cold water to cover by 1 inch. Put over high heat and bring to a boil, then reduce temperature to medium and simmer until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Drain water from the plantain and boniato, bringing them back into the same saucepan. Mash them together with potato masher or fork, then stir in cumin, 1/2 teaspoon butter, and the Mexican crema. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Place a chicken breasts into a large Ziploc bag, close the bag almost all the way, then flatten the meat to a thickness to between 1/2-inch and 1/4-inch; repeat with remaining pieces.
- Season both sides of the chicken with salt and black pepper. Place a chicken piece on a flat work surface and top with a slice of prosciutto. At one end of the prosciutto-covered chicken place 1 tablespoon of the plantain mixture shaped into a rectangular “log.” Roll up the chicken and secure with a toothpick. Repeat with remaining chicken pieces, prosciutto, and plantain mixture. Dredge the stuffed chicken in flour to coat.
- In a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter together with the olive oil. Add the stuffed chicken pieces to the skillet and brown chicken on all sides, about 5 minutes total.
- Add 1/4 cup no-salt chicken stock/broth or water to the skillet and reduce heat to low. Cover skillet and let simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Prepare a warm serving platter and transfer the cooked stuffed chicken pieces to the platter. Remove the toothpicks from the pieces.
- Add the fresh lemon juice to the drippings in the skillet and increase temperature to high. Let cook for 1 minute, stirring to get the browned bits from the bottom of skillet. Pour the sauce over the stuffed chicken pieces and serve.
- Adapted from May 2007 Bon Appétit and Daisy Martinez’s recipe for Chicken Thighs Stuffed with Plantain and Serrano Ham.
- Note: lime juice for the sauce would also be very nice, and a completely different taste! You can also substitute chicken thighs for breasts.