Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Weary of the same old recipes? Break out of the monotony and add a little variety to your mealtime routine with a Chinese-inspired feast. Celebrating holidays like Chinese New Year, which falls on January 23rd this year, is a great way to teach children about customs in other countries and an easy way to introduce new flavours to the dinner table. With a few simple ingredients and an Asian-inspired sauce, you can whip up a meal that will capture the spirit of the holiday and bring a little adventure to the dinner table. Bursting with Asian-inspired flavours and filled with warm goat cheese, the stuffed chicken recipe below looks complicated but comes together in no time flat. Simple to prepare, this dish is risk-free and will bring out your inner culinary connoisseur.
- 4 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 1⁄2 cup plain goat cheese (cream cheese can also be used)
- 2 cups frozen broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 455 ml vh sweet and sour sauce
- Place 1 chicken breast between 2 large pieces of plastic wrap, carefully pound chicken breast with the flat side of a meat tenderizer or rolling pin. Flatten breast to a thickness of 1/2 cm (1/4 inch), taking care not to tear the chicken. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts.
- Place broccoli in a small glass and add just enough water to cover the florets, microwave for 4 minutes. Drain and chop finely. Stir warm broccoli into goat cheese until well combined.
- Place 1/4 of the cheese mixture at the base of the first piece of chicken, carefully roll the meat over the cheese, tucking in the sides to enclose the cheese. Use 2-3 toothpicks to secure. Repeat with remaining 3 breasts.
- In a large sauté pan heat oil over medium-high, brown chicken on all sides, about 7 minutes. Add sweet & sour sauce to the pan along with 1/4 cup (60 mL) water. Cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 12 minutes.
- Slice chicken and serve with sauce poured over top.
- Too busy to cook? Try VH Steamers Kung Pao Chicken from the company's line of frozen entrees. Packed with crisp vegetables and Asian-inspired sauces, these flavourful meals are ready in less than five minutes.
- Additional recipe ideas are available online at www.vhsauces.ca.