Recipe by PaulaG
This is an attractive and tasty dish. These are not your ordinary stuffed peppers. Serve on top of saffron rice with a side salad for a spicy meal.
- 4 medium poblano chiles
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 29.58 ml olive oil, divided
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced in 1/2 inch cubes
- 2.46-4.92 ml seasoning salt
- 2 roma tomatoes, finely diced
- 118.29 ml mushroom, sliced
- 56.69 g monterey jack cheese, cut into 1/4 inch cubes (approximately 1/2 cup)
- cooked saffron rice, 4 servings
Directions See How It's Made
- While using gloves, wash the poblano chilies and using a sharp paring knife, cut a slit lengthwise from stem to tip of chile leaving stem in tact.
- Carefully cut away the seeds and membrane rinse the inside of the chilies and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, warm 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, add chopped onions and garlic.
- Cook until onions begin to turn golden, stirring frequently.
- Add the diced chicken, sprinkle with seasoning salt and cook until chicken is almost cooked through; add tomato and mushrooms, continue to cook until chicken is done.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 2 quart casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- With remaining tablespoon olive oil, lightly oil the outside of the chilies and place them cut side up in casserole dish.
- Pack the chicken mixture into chilies and push cheese into mixture along the slit.
- Cover dish, place in preheated oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes; remove cover the last 5 to 10 minutes of cooking.
- Serve on top of a bed of saffron rice.