Recipe by SweetySJD
I love stuffed peppers and I think that this is an interesting take on them. Ground turkey would probably work well too. I got this from Family Circle magazine.
Top Review by DeeVaFoodie
These are fantastic! They will definately change your mind on stuffed peppers if the only ones you've ever had were the ground beef/rice/tomato sauce/blah version. These are packed with flavor, the spices are wonderful. I made the recipe exactly as written, didn't skimp on the spice or anything. I'll make these again and again, for sure! Thanks for sharing the recipe SweetySJD, made for Pick-A-Chef Fall 2011.
- 3 green bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground chicken
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can small white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Slice peppers lengthwise and clean out seeds.
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, cook and stir about 3 minutes.
- Add red pepper, cook and stir about 2 minutes.
- Add ground chicken, cook, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink.
- Stir in chili powder, oregano, salt, pepper and cumin; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Mash half the beans coarsely.
- Stir all beans, barbecue sauce and tomato paste into chicken. Cook about 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Fill each pepper with the mixture and top with cheese.
- Bake peppers until heated, about 10 minutes. Garnish with sour cream.