I love stuffed peppers and I think that this is an interesting take on them. Ground turkey would probably work well too. I got this from Family Circle magazine.
- 3 green bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground chicken
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can small white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Slice peppers lengthwise and clean out seeds.
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, cook and stir about 3 minutes.
- Add red pepper, cook and stir about 2 minutes.
- Add ground chicken, cook, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink.
- Stir in chili powder, oregano, salt, pepper and cumin; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Mash half the beans coarsely.
- Stir all beans, barbecue sauce and tomato paste into chicken. Cook about 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Fill each pepper with the mixture and top with cheese.
- Bake peppers until heated, about 10 minutes. Garnish with sour cream.