Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Found this on allrecipes.com long before my Zaar days - about 2 years ago. Credited to a Marilyn G. My daughter LOVES this dish - it's very tasty, and obviously very rich. The nutmeg is key to the flavor.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, for coating
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 1⁄4 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions, for topping (optional)
- In a shallow dish or bowl, season flour with salt and pepper to taste.
- Dredge chicken in seasoned flour to coat.
- In a large skillet, brown coated chicken in melted butter or margarine until golden.
- In a medium bowl combine the soup, half-and-half, dry onion soup mix, parsley, garlic,mushrooms, nutmeg and browning sauce.
- Mix all together and pour mixture over chicken in skillet.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- Stir in sour cream and heat through, but DO NOT BOIL!
- Top with chopped green onion and serve over rice or noodles.
it is rich, but very good
Very good stroganoff and I especially like that it features chicken instead of beef since I'm trying to eliminate red meat from our diets. Lots of ingredients and takes some time to prepare but the end result is well worth it. Very nice meal. Thanks for posting.
This was by far the best base for stroganoff that I have ever had...I think I floured the chicken a bit much and it make the sauce rather thick. Next time I think I will double the sauce and flour the chicken alot less or even try it with beef. The base for this is AWESOME!!!!