Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is modified from my mom's beef stroganoff recipe. The chicken makes it quicker to cook, so it's become a weeknight staple. I usually can get it made while cooking some noodles and steaming carrots or broccoli, and then I have dinner on the table in about 30 minutes.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken tenderloins (I buy the bag of Perdue ice glazed frozen tenders)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 (10 ounce) package fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can Healthy Request cream of chicken soup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- In a large, deep skillet or duch oven, melt the butter/marg over med heat.
- Combine flour and garlic powder (add salt and pepper to taste) and dredge/shake chicken tenders (I put the flour mixture in a plastic bag and shake 3 tenders at a time).
- Add chicken to skillet and saute until no longer pink and slightly browned.
- Remove chicken from pan.
- Add onions and saute, turning down heat.
- Add garlic and saute until onions are soft.
- Add mushroom slices and saute for an additional 3-4 minutes or until mushrooms start to give up their liquid.
- Add soup and water to the pan and combine, deglazing pan.
- Return chicken tenders to the pan, bring mixture to a boil, then turn down to low and cook for at least 5 minutes.
- About 5 minutes from serving, add sour cream, combine, and bring back to almost a boil.
- Serve with noodles and steamed vegetables.
Great recipe! Easy, fast, tastes great!
This was delicious, and fairly simple to make. I like that it uses lower-fat ingredients but is still nice and creamy. I added a little white wine, just for extra zip. Will definitely add this to my favorites! Thanks.
So simple to make and so yummy too! What more could you ask for on a busy night when everyone's hungry and you want something on the table quick! My family really enjoyed this and asked that it be made again, so I added it to my comfort food favorites to be made again!