Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is modified from my mom's beef stroganoff recipe. The chicken makes it quicker to cook, so it's become a weeknight staple. I usually can get it made while cooking some noodles and steaming carrots or broccoli, and then I have dinner on the table in about 30 minutes.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken tenderloins (I buy the bag of Perdue ice glazed frozen tenders)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 (10 ounce) package fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can Healthy Request cream of chicken soup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- In a large, deep skillet or duch oven, melt the butter/marg over med heat.
- Combine flour and garlic powder (add salt and pepper to taste) and dredge/shake chicken tenders (I put the flour mixture in a plastic bag and shake 3 tenders at a time).
- Add chicken to skillet and saute until no longer pink and slightly browned.
- Remove chicken from pan.
- Add onions and saute, turning down heat.
- Add garlic and saute until onions are soft.
- Add mushroom slices and saute for an additional 3-4 minutes or until mushrooms start to give up their liquid.
- Add soup and water to the pan and combine, deglazing pan.
- Return chicken tenders to the pan, bring mixture to a boil, then turn down to low and cook for at least 5 minutes.
- About 5 minutes from serving, add sour cream, combine, and bring back to almost a boil.
- Serve with noodles and steamed vegetables.
Great recipe! Easy, fast, tastes great!
This was delicious, and fairly simple to make. I like that it uses lower-fat ingredients but is still nice and creamy. I added a little white wine, just for extra zip. Will definitely add this to my favorites! Thanks.
So simple to make and so yummy too! What more could you ask for on a busy night when everyone's hungry and you want something on the table quick! My family really enjoyed this and asked that it be made again, so I added it to my comfort food favorites to be made again!