Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
The original classic Russian dish, stroganoff, is made with beef! But with this recipe comes an interesting change of pace!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1⁄4 cups sour cream
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped, to garnish
- Place chicken breasts, one at a time, between two sheets of plastic wrap & flatten each to a thickness of 1/4 inch with a rolling pin.
- Cut into 1-inch strips diagonally across the fillets.
- In large frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil, & cook sliced onion slowly until soft but not colored.
- Add mushrooms & cook until golden brown, then remove & keep warm.
- Increase heat, & add remaining oil.
- Fry chicken very quickly, in small batches, for 3-4 minutes until lightly colored. Remove & keep warm while frying remaining chicken.
- Return all chicken, onions & mushrooms to frying pan & season with salt & pepper, then stir in sour cream & bring to boil.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley & serve immediately.
Very good, I added more salt and a little milk to thin out the sauce. Served over rice.
I added 2 cloves of garlic to ours for added flavor and it was great!
I added a little nutmeg, a little garlic and a couple of grinds of black pepper and this was a hit for us. I served it over wide noodles with a green salad. Simple to make and very good. I'll be making this again. Thank you for sharing this.