Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this in a box of recipe cards I bought at a garage sale.It works well for us as it's simple to make.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄3 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (more is better in stroganoff I reckon)
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking.
- Add onion, garlic and mushrooms and fry, stirring constantly for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and cook, stirring occasionally for 6-8 minutes, until vegetables are tender and liquid has evaporated.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook stirring frequently for 2-3 minutes or until well heated through.
- Serve over egg noodles or rice.
* Reviewed for Aussie Forum Recipe Tag * 5 stars- my husband and eldest daughter totally enjoyed this for dinner tonight. It's not really what I think of as a traditional stroganoff.....but as a quick and easy weeknight dinner- terrific. I poached some chicken breasts and this recipe used 2 medium sized chicken breast fillets and I used some of the poaching liquid as the chicken stock. I think I would enjoy more onion and mushrooms. As an easy dinner....this recipe is a winner. Photos also to be posted
The DS and the DM gave this full marks and thoroughly enjoyed. The DH found it wasn't quite to his taste. I found the tomatoe paste a little overpowering (would suggest cooking if of with the onion, garlic for a few minutes and then add the mushrooms) and we also missed the taste of paprika which we are used to in stroganoff so think I would sub paprika for the nutmeg to suit our tastes. It is an easy, quick recipe and think would definately be great for mid week. Thank you Jan. Made for Edition 4 - Make My Recipe - a game of tag.
I loved this but my husband was, well, not enthusiastic. He's a meat & potatoes man, so it's tempting for me to give this 5 stars! This is easy and delicious. Thanks!