Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Another family favourite of ours, it has a nice creamy mustard flavour.
- canola oil (for frying)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds (brown)
- 500 g chicken fillets, cut into strips
- 250 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons coarse grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄3 cup cream
- ground pepper
- Sauté onion and garlic gently in heated oil till glossy.
- Add mustard seeds and cook till they begin to pop!
- (about 2 minutes) then add chicken and toss to sear.
- Add mushrooms and stir fry for 1 minutes.
- Stir in wholegrain mustard, mustard powder and brandy.
- Add stock and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Add cream and heat through (don't boil).
- Season to taste.
- I serve it with buttered noodles and steamed mangetout.
This was delicious! I only used 1/3 of a cup of stock as I didnt want it too runny. I served it with creamy mashed potatoes and sauteed grated zucchini with black pepper and juice of 1/2 a lemon. very very nice =)
I made this last night. I couldn't find mustard seeds, so I didn't use it. I wanted to make a beef stroganoff, but my wife prefers chicken to beer, so I thought I might take a shot at making this. I have to say that this was NOT a winner at our house. I was able to force it down, but the wife could not. I don't think I have to say this, but we will not be cooking this again.
Mmmm, great flavor. I love stroganoff but am not a huge fan of beef so this was perfect! Thanks :)