Recipe by Chilicat
This recipe is from Art Smith of Chicago's Table Fifty-Two. It was in the December 2008 issue of Good Housekeeping in their "Dinner for Four Under $10" column. Refrigerate overnight for a great breakfast casserole. Prep time doesn't include refrigeration time of 4 to 10 hours.
Top Review by Erlamimi
Saw this recipe in a magazine while my daughter was getting her hair cut. Copied it down and invited my parents and mother in law for dinner. Everyone loved it! My dad wants the recipe!
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 6 ounces asparagus, woody stems discarded, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken (1 inch cubes)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups cubed French bread (1 inch cubes)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and celery and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add asparagus, water and cover. Cook until asparagus is crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Uncover and cook until all liquid is evaporated, about 2 minutes. Transfer vegetables to large bowl.
- Add chicken and mayonnaise, mix well. Whisk milk, broth, eggs, parsley, chives, salt and pepper in another bowl.
- Lightly butter a 13x9 inch glass baking dish. Spread half of bread cubes in dish; top with chicken mixture. Spread remaining cubes over chicken. Pour egg mixture over ingredients in dish. Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 10 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Bake strata for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; bake until cheese is melted, about 15 minutes more. Let stand for 5 minutes; serve hot.