Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I make a lot of soups, stews, casseroles, and Mexican dishes. Needless to say i use a lot of chicken stock as well as a lot of shredded, cooked chicken. A 10 pound bag of frozen chicken hind quarters sells at this writing for about $4.00. Yield is a guess.
- 1 (10 lb) bagfrozen chicken legs with thigh
- 4 medium yellow onions, quartered, skins on
- 4 stalks celery, cut in large pieces
- 4 carrots, split lengthwise, cut in large pieces
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 -10 black peppercorns
- 4 -6 bay leaves, depending on size
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- water, to cover
- Open bag of chicken, empty contents into large stock pot.
- Wrap herbs in cheese cloth, tie with cotton string.
- Add all other ingredients.
- Cover with water by 2 inches.
- cover pot, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer for 4 hours.
- Turn off heat.
- Use tongs to remove chicken one piece at a time.
- Remove skin and fat, discard.
- Remove meat, set aside, discard bones.
- Discard Bouquet Garni when you find it.
- When you've picked out all you can with the tongs, pour remaining contents through a colander.
- Save the good stuff, discard the rest.
- Shred chicken and place 2 cups at a time in sandwich size zip lock bags, freeze.
- scour the pot clean and return the stock.
- Let cool then chill over night.
- Next morning remove congealed fat with a spatula.
- Reduce or not as you see fit.
- Place 2 cups at a time in sandwich sized zip lock bags, freeze.
- Supposed to keep for 3 months, I've never kept any that long.
This is wonderful, I make this 4 times a year and LOVE having wonderful stock in the freezer whenever a recipe calls for it!! Thanks!!
Just what I was looking for! I made the recipe in my huge crockpot - 8 hours on low. I was mainly interested in the stock but did shred and freeze the chicken meat also. Just as predicted, 1/2 the recipe = 10 cups of lovely stock. I froze it in 1/2 cup, 1 cup, and 2 cup containers. Thanks for sharing this much needed recipe!