Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found this recipe in an award winning 30 - Minute Dinner category in Better Homes and Gardens, in 1997. It is now one of our fast and favourite Stir-Fry's for busy workdays. If you enjoy stir-fry's then this one is for you!
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce or 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 -4 fresh red chili peppers, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted cashews or 1⁄2 cup lightly salted roasted cashews
- hot cooked rice
- In a small bowl combine oyster-flavoured sauce, fish sauce or soy sauce, brown sugar, and cornstarch.
- Stir in water; set aside.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry.
- Cut into bite-size strips; set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and stir-fry 1 minute.
- Add peppers and garlic and stir-fry 1- 2 minutes more or till onion is crisp tender.
- Remove with slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add chicken to wok.
- Stir sauce; add to skillet.
- Cook and stir 1 minute more.
- Stir in cashews.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.
Fabulous! This stir-fry was easy and tasty. I forgot the cashews at first and took a bite without them, and they really add something to the flavor. I didn't have the fresh red peppers, so I used about two teaspoons of red pepper flakes. One thing I noticed is that the recipe didn't specify when to put the onions, peppers and garlic back into the skillet after taking them out. I added them in after the chicken was done but before I added the sauce. Next time I might add more veggies, like mushrooms, for our family's tastes. This recipe is one I'll be referring to often - thanks for sharing it!
This was OK. I used soy sauce instead of fish sauce. I thought the oyster sauce flavor was too strong.
This was tasty, but it was missing a little something. Maybe a bit of lemon or rice wine vinegar? Next time I will at least double the sauce (first 5 ingredients). I used chicken thighs instead of breasts, left out the chillies (I have a small child), and added some minced bottled ginger and lots of veggies ... capsicum, zucchini, and sliced carrots. All in all, a good recipe that is simple and straightforward, and uses ingredients I always keep on hand.