Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Family favorite. I usually serve this over rice.
Top Review by Faux Chef Lael
The first time I made this recipe, it was very bland and boring. But it definitely makes a great base recipe, as other reviewers have suggested. The second time I made it, we added:
- Double the sauce
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of Spicy Oyster Sauce (which is not actually spicy but adds a lot of flavor)
- bok choy (cut the stems on diagonals and add with the rest of the veggies, cut the leaves across the grain and add at the very last minute of cooking just to wilt them.)
- red bell pepper
- baby corn (from a can)
- sliced water chestnuts (2 cans)
- sliced mushrooms (stems and pices from a can)
- bamboo shoots (strips, from a can)
This is a LOT of extra veggies, so it makes a large dish. Either pick the veggies that are your favorite, or invite a crowd! :) Because of the amount of extra veggies, you'll have to double or even triple the sauce, but you want to make sure the veggies are FRIED, not boiled, so add the sauce in parts and then add more as it cooks down. You may need to add additional cornstarch at the end to thicken it. I also used peanut oil for frying and then I sprinkled sesame seeds over the top at the end.
My husband gave the initial recipe 3 stars, the final revision got 5 stars. So thanks for a good base recipe!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil, divided
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granule
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut chicken into 1/2 inch strips; place in a resealable plastic bag.
- Add cornstarch and toss to coat.
- Combine soy sauce, ginger, and garlic powder; add to bag and shake well.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat 2 tablespoons oil; stirfry chicken until no longer pink, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove and keep warm.
- Add remaining oil; stir fry broccoli, celery, carrots, and onion for 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Add water and bouillon.
- Return chicken to pan.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.