Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
This wonderful chicken stew is fantastic over couscous.
Make and share this Chicken Stewed With Chickpeas and Apricots recipe from Food.com.
- 4 whole chicken legs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped medium
- 2 carrots, chopped coarse
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons gingerroot, grated
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Place a Dutch oven over medium-high heat and heat the olive oil till it shimmers. Place the chicken in the pan, skin side down, and sear for five minutes on each side. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add onion and carrots to the pan along with the salt and pepper. Sauté until brown (8-10 minutes). Add garlic and ginger and cook one minute longer.
- Add chickpeas, apricots, thyme, chicken stock and seared chicken legs back to the pan. Bring pot to a simmer and turn down to low. Simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Right before serving stir in oregano and season to taste.