Recipe by Bev
This is a delicious recipe and makes a comforting meal on a cold evening. Bon Appetit published this in 1999.
Top Review by Miss Annie
Fantastic! This really is a wonderful, filling, and comforting. I made this, following the instructions, except I used a combination of legs and thighs. The white beans and tomatoes are an excellent combination. The finished dish was very pretty and very tasty. I served it with warm sourdough bread. Truly a delightful dish. Thanks, Miss Bev for another wonderful recipe.
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 6 chicken thighs, with, skin, and, bones (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook chopped bacon in heavy large pot over medium-high heat until crisp.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towel.
- Sprinkle chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- Dredge chicken in flour, shaking off excess.
- Add to drippings in pot and sauté until brown, about 3 minutes per side.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer chicken to large bowl.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons drippings from pot.
- Add chopped onion and minced garlic to pot; sauté 4 minutes.
- Add bacon, stewed tomatoes, chicken broth, red wine, basil and oregano.
- Bring to boil, scraping up browned bits.
- Return chicken and any accumulated juices to pot.
- Cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Add cannellini; simmer 10 minutes longer.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Makes 4 to 6 servings.