Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is easy to make, and really tasty... serve with cooked rice. I make this on my electric skillet, if you have one, then use it for this.
- 3 -5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 7 -8 chicken pieces
- seasoning salt (can use white salt)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dryed crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into about 1-inch pieces
- 2 (14 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, undrained (preferable Italian-style)
- 2 -3 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into about 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 (11 ounce) can canned corn niblets, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) packagelarge frozen lima beans
- salt and pepper
- grated parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over high heat.
- Season the chicken pieces with seasoning salt and pepper on both sides.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and saute until browned, turning to brown on both sides (this should take about 15 minutes) adding in more oil if needed.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate ot platter.
- Pour off some of the fat, but leave some in the pot.
- Add in onions, garlic, green bell pepper, thyme and red pepper flakes; saute until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Return the chicken to the skillet.
- Add in tomatoes, corn and lima beans; simmer about 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and transfer to a platter, and cover loosley with foil to keep warm.
- Add in the cubed potatoes and boil until the liquid is reduced slightly and the potatoes are tender (about 10-15 minutes).
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the sauce over the chicken on the platter.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese if desired.
This was hearty, basic fare that was nonetheless excellent. We didn't have an electric skillet, cut back on the vegetable oil and used soy based chicken strips because we're vegetarian (less cooking time and no fat to drain). Also, we used a can of artichoke hearts instead of lima beans which we forgot to pick up (hehe). I hope this isn't too many changes for a rating, but I must say we really liked it! Made for Kittencal's cook-a-thon:D