Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Total comfort food, a wonderful hearty stew on a cold winter night. My family loves this stew! Serve with crusty rolls. This tastes even better the following day.
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- oil (use only if needed to brown the chicken pieces)
- 3 lbs chicken pieces (can use more or less chicken)
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- black pepper
- 2 cups flour (more if needed)
- 1 large onion, chopped coarsley
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional, or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 (14 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄2-1 cup dry red wine
- 4 large carrots, chopped small
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano (or 1/2 cup fresh chopped basil)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white kidney beans (also called cannellini beans)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large heavy pot, cook the chopped bacon over medium heat; remove to a paper towel (do not drain fat).
- In a shallow bowl, mix flour with 1 teaspoon seasoning salt and pepper.
- Coat the chicken pieces with the flour mixture, shaking off any excess flour.
- Brown the chicken in the bacon drippings for about 3-4 minutes per side (add in a couple tablespoons oil if needed to brown the chicken); transfer to a dish.
- Add in onion, garlic, basil, oregano and crushed chili flakes (if using) cook for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are soft.
- Add in stewed tomatoes and red wine.
- Add in the bacon and chicken back to the pot and bring to a boil; cover and simmer until the chicken is cooked through about 45 minutes (might take longer to cook the chicken).
- Add in the beans and simmer for another 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed.