Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Here’s another delicious hearty cold-winter-day dish.
- 3 lbs meaty chicken pieces
- 2 quarts water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 medium turnips, peeled
- 2 large potatoes, peeled
- 3 large carrots, peeled
- 2 medium onions, peeled
- 4 celery ribs, tops removed
- 1 cup frozen green pea
- 1 teaspoon bouquet garni herb seasoning mix
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 cups Bisquick baking mix
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Place chicken pieces, water, and 2 teaspoons salt in a large pot. Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until chicken is done.
- Remove chicken from broth; bone and cut into bite-size pieces. Set aside.
- Cut turnips, onions, potatoes, celery, and carrots into bite-size pieces.
- Bring broth back up to a gentle boil and add vegetables. Cook until vegetables are just done
- Strain into a colander set over a large bowl. Drain vegetables and set aside. Let broth sit until the fat rises to the top. Skim excess fat from top.
- Put pot back on stove over medium heat. Add butter and cook until it is melted and starts to foam. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until flour turns golden brown.
- Add about 2 cups of the reserved broth and whisk until smooth. Whisk in the remaining broth. Bring to a gentle boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens.
- Add chicken, cooked vegetables, and green peas; cook until bubbling.
- Make dumplings by mixing Bisquik, milk, egg, and parsley.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto top of gently bubbling stew.
- Cook uncovered for 10 minutes, then cover and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Serve immediately.