Recipe by Chef Gary in Mesquite, TX
A rich chicken stew topped with a simple Cheddar Garlic bisquit.
Top Review by Annacia
This was very nice and we enjoyed it, I thought that it could use a bit more seasoning and added some mixed poultry herbs and minced garlic, that brought it right up. I made some garlic cheese biscuits from scratch and baked them in the oven. We don't care for the doughy bottoms of biscuits baked on top of a stew but loved them with this stew on the side. The pair made a very good Fall dinner that is likely to be made again. Made for PAC, Fall 2012.
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup russet potato, thinly sliced and peeled
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2⁄3 cup half-and-half or 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 cups chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can green beans, drained
For Biscuit Topping
- 4 cups Bisquick
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in large saucepan. Sautee onions, carrots, celery, and potatoes until tender. Add flour, cook 1 minute. Add chicken broth, half and half or milk, and simmer over low hea, stirring constantly, until thickened. Remove from heat, add chicken and green beans, stir. Pour chicken and vegetable mixture into a 13"x9" baking dish. Set aside.
- Prepare bisquits. Mix Bisquick and cheddar in a large bowl. Add milk, stir until a soft dough ball forms. Remove dough from bowl, place on a lightly floured suface. Rull dough to 1/2 inch thickness, cut into 2 1/2" rounds. Place rounds on chicken mixture in rows. Place any left over biscuits into a seperate pan.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 30 minutes or until biscuits are browned and chicken mixture is bubbly. Remove from oven, brush biscuits with mixture of melted butter and garlic powder, also brush left over bisquits.