1/2 Photos of Chicken Stew With Biscuits
1 hr 15 mins
Queen of Everything's Note:
Another from Ina Garten. Wanted to make sure I had it in my cookbook. Hope you enjoy it, too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 whole chicken breasts, bone in skin on or 6 chicken breast halves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 5 cups chicken stock (preferably homemade)
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups medium-diced carrots, blanched for 2 minutes
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cups frozen small whole onions
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
For the biscuits
- 1Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2Place the chicken breasts on a sheet pan and rub them with olive oil.
- 3Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- 4Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, or until cooked through.
- 5Set aside until cool enough to handle, then remove the meat from the bones and discard the skin.
- 6Cut the chicken into large dice.
- 7You will have 4 to 6 cups of cubed chicken.
- 8In a small saucepan, heat the chicken stock and dissolve the bouillon cubes in the stock.
- 9In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter and saute the onions over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until translucent.
- 10Add the flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- 11Add the hot chicken stock to the sauce.
- 12Simmer over low heat for 1 more minute, stirring, until thick.
- 13Add 2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and the heavy cream.
- 14Add the cubed chicken, carrots, peas, onions, and parsley.
- 15Mix well.
- 16Place the stew in a 10 x 13 x 2-inch oval or rectangular baking dish.
- 17Place the baking dish on a sheet pan lined with parchment or wax paper.
- 18Bake for 15 minutes.
- 19Meanwhile, make the biscuits.
- 20Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- 21Add the butter and mix on low speed until the butter is the size of peas.
- 22Add the half-and-half and combine on low speed.
- 23Mix in the parsley.
- 24Dump the dough out on a well-floured board and, with a rolling pin, roll out to 3/8-inch thick.
- 25Cut out twelve circles with a 2 1/2-inch round cutter.
- 26Remove the stew from the oven and arrange the biscuits on top of the filling.
- 27Brush them with egg wash, and return the dish to the oven.
- 28Bake for another 20 to 30 minutes, until the biscuits are brown and the stew is bubbly.
- 29Note: To make in advance, refrigerate the chicken stew and biscuits separately: Bake the stew for 25 minutes, then place the biscuits on top, and bake for another 30 minutes, until done.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Stew With Biscuits
Serving Size: 1 (542 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 840.3
- Calories from Fat 473
- Total Fat 52.5 g
- Saturated Fat 26.0 g
- Cholesterol 192.3 mg
- Sodium 1044.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 36.1 g