Another from Ina Garten. Wanted to make sure I had it in my cookbook. Hope you enjoy it, too.
Make and share this Chicken Stew With Biscuits recipe from Food.com.
- 3 whole chicken breasts, bone in skin on or 6 chicken breast halves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 5 cups chicken stock (preferably homemade)
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups medium-diced carrots, blanched for 2 minutes
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen small whole onions
- 1⁄2 cup minced fresh parsley
For the biscuits
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 lb cold unsalted butter, diced
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 egg, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the chicken breasts on a sheet pan and rub them with olive oil.
- Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Set aside until cool enough to handle, then remove the meat from the bones and discard the skin.
- Cut the chicken into large dice.
- You will have 4 to 6 cups of cubed chicken.
- In a small saucepan, heat the chicken stock and dissolve the bouillon cubes in the stock.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter and saute the onions over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Add the hot chicken stock to the sauce.
- Simmer over low heat for 1 more minute, stirring, until thick.
- Add 2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and the heavy cream.
- Add the cubed chicken, carrots, peas, onions, and parsley.
- Mix well.
- Place the stew in a 10 x 13 x 2-inch oval or rectangular baking dish.
- Place the baking dish on a sheet pan lined with parchment or wax paper.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the biscuits.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Add the butter and mix on low speed until the butter is the size of peas.
- Add the half-and-half and combine on low speed.
- Mix in the parsley.
- Dump the dough out on a well-floured board and, with a rolling pin, roll out to 3/8-inch thick.
- Cut out twelve circles with a 2 1/2-inch round cutter.
- Remove the stew from the oven and arrange the biscuits on top of the filling.
- Brush them with egg wash, and return the dish to the oven.
- Bake for another 20 to 30 minutes, until the biscuits are brown and the stew is bubbly.
- Note: To make in advance, refrigerate the chicken stew and biscuits separately: Bake the stew for 25 minutes, then place the biscuits on top, and bake for another 30 minutes, until done.