Recipe by Honeybeee
A delicately flavaoured, light stew with flavours of the orient. It is best eaten with plain boiled rice.
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) chicken
- 3 potatoes, peeled and halved
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons oil
- 4 cardamoms, pounded
- 5 cloves
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 sprig curry leaf
- green chili
- 1 1⁄2 pieces ginger, cut in sticks
- 1 chicken stock cube (optional)
- 1 1⁄4 cups coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 a lemon, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil and add the whole spices.
- Twirl them around for 20 seconds and add the onions, curry leaves, chillies and ginger.
- Fry till the onions turn pink.
- (take care that they do not darken).
- Add the chicken and the potatoes plus the cube of stock (if using).
- Sprinkle salt to taste Add to it a cup and a half of water and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and continue cooking for 15 mins or till the chicken is tender.
- Blend flour and coconut milk and add to the chicken.
- Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in the lemon juice and adjust seasonings.