Recipe by luvinlif2k
This Algerian recipe is served with couscous. Though the recipe calls for chicken you could substitute goat or lamb for the chicken. This is from one of my favorite books, Extending the Table.
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups cut green beans (fresh or frozen will work fine)
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced (optional)
- 2 bay leaves (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set aside tomatoes, zucchini, chick-peas and cayenne.
- Combine all remaining ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook, covered about 8 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and zucchini and cook 3-5 minutes.
- Add chick-peas and cayenne pepper.
- Cook until heated through.
- Serve over steaming couscous.