Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is great for cold winter days. My kids love this and I feel good about serving it to them. It is comfort food prepared using only healthy ingredients. It tastes way too good to be good for you too.
- 2 -3 lbs skinless chicken breasts
- 8 baby carrots, chopped (pre-peeled)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes or 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces pasta (cooked 1 min. prior to al dente) or 8 ounces red kidney beans (1 can)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (depending)
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth (to desired consistency) or 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth (to desired consistency)
- salt & pepper
- In soup pot, drizzle extra virgin olive oil then add vegetables. Saute 2-3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients (all except pasta).
- Simmer 45 minutes (or longer). Remove bay leaf, add cooked pasta (and/or beans) and simmer a few minutes. Remove Bay Leaf prior to serving.
- Variations: May serve parmesan cheese sprinkled over soup.
This is a great stew! It was so easy to prepare too. I don't care for onions so I used extra carrots and celery and added some onion powder. This is rich and delicious comfort food!