Recipe by Sandi (From CA)
Healthy and tasty! Often when I go to make a new recipe, I'll search and find sometimes 3 or more that sound good. I'll then make a combination of them, more than likely adding or omitting a few ingredients to suit my palate. This is one of those times. I really liked the resulting spring rolls and I hope you do too! Make sure that if you don't want to cook the wrappers, you get the ones that can be soaked for a few seconds in water, then made into a wrap and eaten immediately.
FOR THE SPRING ROLLS
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 2 cups napa cabbage (aka Chinese, not regular cabbage)
- 1⁄2 cup bean sprouts
- 1⁄2 carrot, grated
- 2 scallions, finely sliced
- 2 ounces bean thread noodles, blanched and chopped
- 8 ounces chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 10 vietnamese spring roll wrappers
- 1 egg, beaten
FOR THE DIPPING SAUCE
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons light sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 pinch sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients for the dipping sauce and set aside.
- Heat oil in skillet or wok over high heat. Add the garlic, ginger, cabbage, carrot, scallions and bean sprouts. Cook for 2 minutes or until the cabbage is just limp.
- Add the noodles and chicken; continue to cook until heated through.
- Stir in the hoisin and oyster sauces; toss to coat the mixture. The filling should be moist, but not wet. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Toss in chopped cilantro.
- Place a Vietnamese spring roll wrapper in a pan of hot (not boiling) water for about 15 seconds. Remove and place on plate. If using square wrappers, position one corner toward yourself. If round, it doesn't matter. :o).
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of the filling near the bottom (or corner near you) of the wrapper and fold up to enclose the filling. Fold in the left and right sides, then roll up the remainder of the way.
- Serve with Garlic-Soy Dipping Sauce.