Recipe by cookiedog
From Tyler Florence posted for Zaar World Tour III
Top Review by Nikoma
These were very good and easily made vegan. I used Morningstar farms "chicken strips", subbed soy sauce for the oyster sauce and just used a mix of water and soy sauce for sealing the rolls. I probably more then doubled the bean sprouts, threw in about a cup of mushrooms that needed using and used heaping cups of cabbage. The filling was still mainly noodle/chicken. Loved the whole combination of ingredients here but next time I'll double everything accept the noodles and chicken! I got 19 out of this batch. next time I'll probably be able to finish the out the package of spring roll wraps :) Fried half and baked half. Both turned out great!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 cups shredded napa cabbage
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1⁄2 cup bean sprouts
- 2 ounces bean thread noodles, blanched and chopped
- 8 ounces shredded cooked chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander
- spring roll wrappers
- 1 egg, beaten
- vegetable oil, for frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a skillet or wok over high heat. Add the garlic, ginger, cabbage, carrot, and bean sprouts. Cook for 2 minutes or until the cabbage is just limp.
- Add the noodles and chicken; continue to cook until heated through.
- Stir in the hoisin and oyster sauces, toss to coat the mixture. The filling should be moist but not wet. Remove from heat, and allow to cool. Toss in the chopped coriander.
- Lay a spring roll wrapper on a flat surface on an angle so it looks like a diamond. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the filling near the bottom corner of the wrapper and fold up to enclose the filling. Fold in the 2 sides. Paint the top seam of the wrapper with beaten egg. Continue rolling up to form a tight cylinder.
- Pour about 1-inch of oil in a skillet and heat to 350 degrees F. Fry the spring rolls for 2 minutes, turning to cook all sides. Drain on paper towels before serving.