Recipe by Lisa 12n
Chicken spinach strudel adapted from a Cooking Light recpie.
Top Review by Larawithoutau
This was a great change from the norm & an awesome way to sneak in a lot of veggies. I used fresh spinach, cheddar cheese & my Cooking Light cookbook didn't call for cilantro. I didn't have bread crumbs, so I crushed some Ritz crackers. It came together pretty quickly & made 2 nice rolls. Everyone, including my 2 year old gobbled it up. I also sprinkled it lightly with some Goya Adobo before baking. I had a little filling and some phyllo left over, so I made little "cupcakes" <br/>by placing a few layers of buttered dough in a cooking sprayed muffin tin & bushed with melted butter, added filling & baked. The kids especially liked those. We'll be making these again!<br/>***update 3/23/14: had half the amount of spinach & some fresh asparagus to use, so I made 1 strudel chicken & spinach; the other asparagus & chicken. What a wonderful spring entree! This would be excellent for a Easter brunch. I cut the asparagus in 1 inch bias cuts, steamed for about 10 minutes & used in place of the other half of spinach. I have made this several times, with Ritz cracker crumbs, Cheez-It crumbs...very versatile.
- cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, defrosted drained
- 4 cups cooked chicken breasts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons wine or 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion in butter.
- Remove from heat.
- Combine onion, spinach, Chicken, mozerella, 1/4 c parmesean, cilantro, egg, wine, salt, pepper, and garlic.
- coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
- lay down one sheet of phyllo and coat with cooking spray, sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- repeat on three more sheets of phyllo.
- press the layers together and top with half of the chicken mixture.
- Roll up the strudel, leave the seam down on the baking sheet, and tuck ends underneath.
- Repeat with other phyllo and chicken mixture.
- coat both with cooking spray, parmesean and paprika.
- Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.