Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
This is a nourishing soup recipe from 'Young Times' from the column- Eating right with Sanjeev Kapoor. This soup will put the glow back in your cheeks!
Top Review by Brown Norway
I had a hard time with this. It came out very thick for a soup, and I ended up adding more water/milk to get it to a soup consistency, I was looking for. The red pepper added a bit of bang, but over all I found it bland.
- 2 bunches spinach
- 200 g boneless chicken
- 1 medium onion
- 2 -3 cloves garlic
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 -7 peppercorns
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 slices bread
- black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and shred the spinach.
- Next, wash and cut the chicken into small dices.
- Peel and finely chop the onion.
- Likewise, do the same for garlic.
- Put the potatoes in boiling water, allow to become tender, then, peel and mash them.
- Heat oil and butter combo in a soup pot.
- Add bay leaf.
- Add garlic and onion and saute.
- Add spinach.
- Discard the bay leaf.
- Add salt, crushed peppercorns and some water.
- Allow to cook for a while (about 10 minutes) on medium flame.
- Add potatoes.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove from flame.
- Add milk.
- Blend the above prepared mixture well in a blender to obtain spinach puree.
- Remove the crusts from the bread slices.
- Cut them into croutons.
- Dilute the spinach puree with milk or water.
- Heat the spinach puree (soup) in a pan.
- In another pan, cook the croutons until they begin to change colour.
- Add a little oil to the croutons and cook till they are crisp.
- Drain on absorbent paper towels and keep aside.
- Heat oil in another pan.
- Add boneless chicken pieces.
- Saute till cooked.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper powder over the cooked chicken pieces.
- Add salt to taste.
- Flavour the croutons with oregano and red chilli flakes.
- To serve, firstly, put the chicken pieces in a soup bowl.
- Pour the soup over them.
- Garnish with bread croutons.
- Serve hot.