Recipe by PSU Lioness
I found this in the "Healthy Bites" publication at my local Weis grocery store and I am posting for safe keeping. It was in the "Cancer Control" section of the magazine.
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 ounces fresh spinach
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat feta cheese
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 4 (4 -6 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/4-1/2 inch thickness
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes (they recommend Furmano's Chunky Crushed Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic and Oregano)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a large skillet over Medium heat.
- Add garlic and saute 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add spinach and cook until wilted, about 3-5 minutes, tossing constantly; remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, combine spinach, feta, lemon juice, crushed red pepper, black pepper and oregano; set aside.
- Dredge each chicken breast into beaten egg, then panko breadcrumbs.
- Spread one quarter of the spinach/feta mixture over chicken, then carefully roll up and secure with 2 toothpicks.
- Repeat with remaining chicken breasts.
- Heat remaining 2 tsp olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add rolled chicken breasts to skillet and cook about 5-7 minutes or until browned on all sides.
- Remove from heat and place in a square baking dish, sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until minimum internal temperature reaches 165.
- Top with tomatoes and serve. Warm the tomatoes first, if desired.