Recipe by TGirl,RN
Tender buttermilk biscuits top a creamy chicken and spinach filling to create a hearty meal that is sure to please. This recipe calls for pre-cooked chicken, which makes it the perfect meal for busy weeknights. Just pick up a deli chicken on the way home from work, or use leftovers from a Sunday dinner.
Top Review by Lizzie-Babette
Now THIS is comfort food! DH and I had exhausted ourselves all day on renovation projects, but we had this wonderful dish as dinner. Earlier in the day, I'd poached two chicken breasts in water, white wine, spices, garlic, peppercorns, and salt, and then refrigerated them until I was ready to make the dish. I made this exactly as directed, except I didn't have pimentos, so I diced half a red pepper instead. It baked for between 45-50 minutes in my oven, and it was spectacular! Creamy, savory, delicious. We both liked the red pepper, which added the crunch, and I might add a tad more sour cream, but this really is great all on its own. The contrast of the biscuits (almost like crispier dumplings) and the wonderful filling is just heavenly. We served it with buttered corn, and a nice red wine. I'm looking forward to making this for friends - this is really excellent, and I highly recommend it. Thanks, TGirl!
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed,drained,and chopped
- 1 (2 ounce) jar pimiento, drained and chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 2⁄3 cups flour, all purpose
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together all of the filling ingredients and spread into greased 9 inch baking dish.
- In seperate bowl, mix together all of the biscuit ingredients to form dough.
- Place spoonfuls of dough on top of filling and bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes, or until biscuits are golden brown.