Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe can also be made using manicotti shells, and turkey can be used in place of the chicken. To save time you can prepare the chicken filling up to a day ahead and refrigerate. You will need two 11x7-inch baking pans for this.
- 5 cups finely chopped cooked chicken or 5 cups turkey
- 2 (8 ounce) containers chive & onion cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic (no more than 1 teaspoon garlic!)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach (thawed and hand-squeezed dry, use half package if desired)
- 2 cups finely grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
BELL PEPPER SAUCE
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 3 cups prepared alfredo sauce
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package cannelloni tubes, shells
- Grease two 11 x 7-inch baking dishes.
- For the sauce; place all ingredients in a processor except salt and pepper; process until smooth.
- Season sauce with salt and pepper; set aside or refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a large bowl stir all the cannelloni filling together.
- Cook the cannelloni shells in boiling water until al dente (do not over cook!).
- Cut each of the cooked shells lengthwise to form a square.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup chicken mixture lengthwise near the end of each square, then roll up as tight as possible.
- Place and divide the shells cut-end down into the two baking dishes.
- Divide/drizzle the prepared bell pepper sauce over the shells in the two baking dishes.
- Cover with foil and bake 350°F for about 25-30 minutes or until thoroughly heated through.
- If desired sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top the last 5 minutes of baking.
This is a great recipe and would be good for using up that left over turkey at T-giving. For 1/2 recipe we used a whole jar of roasted red peppers and 1/2 jar of alfredo sauce with some dried basil over the top. We will definitely have this again as it is a pleasant change over traditional marinara sauce Italian dishes and is so easy to prepare.