1/1 Photo of Chicken, Spinach and Dried Cranberry Phyllo Pie
1 hr 12 mins
Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
Source: Anne Lindsay's New Light Cooking According to the author this recipe is a favorite of Toronto caterers Caroline McRobbie and Laurien Trowell of C'est Cheese Encore. All it needs is a salad and some crusty bread. TIP: For 2 cups of cooked, cubed chicken, microwave 2 large chicken breasts (1 1/4 lb), loosely covered, for 7 minutes on high or until the chicken is no longer pink inside.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups 2% evaporated milk
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- 2 (300 g) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup pine nuts or 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 egg
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed (see tip in recipe description)
- 4 sheets phyllo pastry
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1Whisk milk with flour in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring, until thickened.
- 2Stir in salt, pepper and nutmeg; let cool slightly.
- 3Drain spinach and squeeze out water.
- 4Using a nonstick skillet, melt 1 tbsp of the butter over medium-high heat and cook the spinach, garlic, pine nuts & cranberries, stirring, until garlic begins to colour (about 5 minutes).
- 5Stir egg into milk mixture then stir into spinach mixture along with the chicken.
- 6Melt remaining butter.
- 7Spray pie plate with nonstick spray.
- 8Cut phyllo in half crosswise and drape across pie plate so 1/3 overhangs the plate.
- 9Brush lightly with butter and press into plate.
- 10Repeat with each sheet, layering and fanning sheets to overlap slightly and evenly cover pie plate.
- 11Spoon filling into pastry then fold edges over filling to form 2 1/2 inch border.(if making ahead pie can be covered and refrigerated for up to 3 hours at this point).
- 12Place pie on baking sheet, cover lightly with foil and bake in 375F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until pastry is golden.
- 13Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken, Spinach and Dried Cranberry Phyllo Pie
Serving Size: 1 (185 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 240.9
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 80.4 mg
- Sodium 403.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 18.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
2% evaporated milk