Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
Source: Anne Lindsay's New Light Cooking According to the author this recipe is a favorite of Toronto caterers Caroline McRobbie and Laurien Trowell of C'est Cheese Encore. All it needs is a salad and some crusty bread. TIP: For 2 cups of cooked, cubed chicken, microwave 2 large chicken breasts (1 1/4 lb), loosely covered, for 7 minutes on high or until the chicken is no longer pink inside.
Top Review by EM32
Loved this recipe! I actually did not have a pie pan, (in the middle of moving ) so used more of a baking pan.. The presentation did not look as good as the picture but it tasted delicious! I would probably use a bit more garlic next time and maybe try Craisins instead of Cranberries! Definitely would make again
- 1 1⁄4 cups 2% evaporated milk
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- 2 (300 g) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts or 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 egg
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed (see tip in recipe description)
- 4 sheets phyllo pastry
- nonstick cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk milk with flour in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring, until thickened.
- Stir in salt, pepper and nutmeg; let cool slightly.
- Drain spinach and squeeze out water.
- Using a nonstick skillet, melt 1 tbsp of the butter over medium-high heat and cook the spinach, garlic, pine nuts & cranberries, stirring, until garlic begins to colour (about 5 minutes).
- Stir egg into milk mixture then stir into spinach mixture along with the chicken.
- Melt remaining butter.
- Spray pie plate with nonstick spray.
- Cut phyllo in half crosswise and drape across pie plate so 1/3 overhangs the plate.
- Brush lightly with butter and press into plate.
- Repeat with each sheet, layering and fanning sheets to overlap slightly and evenly cover pie plate.
- Spoon filling into pastry then fold edges over filling to form 2 1/2 inch border.(if making ahead pie can be covered and refrigerated for up to 3 hours at this point).
- Place pie on baking sheet, cover lightly with foil and bake in 375F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until pastry is golden.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.