Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a "knock-off" of a dish from one of our favorite Italian restaurants. The prep time does not include marinating the chicken overnight. Most excellent served with Alfredo sauce and Artichoke hearts!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice (fresh)
- 1 cup of loose basil leaves (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper (crushed)
- 1 -2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- fettuccine pasta or penne pasta
- Wash chicken and cut each breast into 8 pieces (cubes or chunks).
- Mix olive oil with lemon, fresh diced basil, garlic, red pepper flakes, black pepper and salt.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of oil mixture.
- Marinate chicken in remaining oil mixture in the refrigerator overnight.
- --NEXT DAY-- Bring water to a boil for pasta.
- Drain the chicken and roll the chunks in a mixture of breadcrumbs, dried basil, oregano and Parmesan cheese.
- Skewer and put chicken on the grill, turning until done; or fry the chicken in olive oil until browned on all sides.
- Toss the cooked fettuccine noodles or penne with the reserved oil mixture and serve.
The whole family loved this! Didn't remember to marinate the chicken over night so I just did it in the morning and it was still GREAT! Cooked the chicken in olive oil and added a little Italian blend cheese to the noodles.
This made for an excellent meal. Served this with pasta, green salad and fresh bread. This looked so impressive arranged on a platter and tasted as good as it looked. Thank you for a recipe that I will be making again and again.
Very good. My picky daughter said I should rate it 6 stars! I did ask you a question about cooking method, and I went with frying them in olive oil. Turned out great. I didn't add as much red pepper flakes to the marinade because of family considerations, but it was a enough to give it a little zing. I served it with mini-penne, Alfredo sauce and a lettuce and tomato salad. Thanks for posting this.