Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Something like Rumbi's. Taken from Busy Little Kitchen's blog. Substituting the chicken with grilled shrimp would be absolutely divine.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 carrots, peeled and grated
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 zucchini, chopped into small cubes
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 3 -4 chicken breasts, grilled and cut into small cubes (can sub grilled shrimp)
- 1 recipe rumbi rice (recipe below)
- 1 recipe spicy hawaiian teriyaki sauce (recipe below)
Recipe for Rumbi Rice
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 (16 ounce) can red beans, drained and rinsed (black beans would be a good sub)
Spicy Hawaiian Teriyaki Sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups about 1 bottle good quality thick teriyaki sauce (Mr.Yoshida's brand recommended)
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 3 -4 teaspoons asian garlic sauce (Sriracha)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 large pinch brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil until shimmering. Add the prepared vegetables and saute until crisp-tender, a couple minutes. Season with salt and pepper. In a bowl, serve up a large scoop of Rumbi rice, a scoop of hot vegetables, a scoop of grilled chicken cubes, and a heavy drizzle of Spicy Hawaiian Teriyaki sauce.
- To make the rice: Combine the water, coconut milk, and sugar in a large saucepan. Stir in rice and beans. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 18 to 20 minutes, until rice is tender. Fluff with a fork before serving.
- To make the Spicy Hawaiian Teriyaki Sauce: Combine the bottled teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, Sriracha, ginger, salt and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Combine cornstarch and water and SLOWLY add as needed for thickening (you may not need all of it.) It should be slightly syrupy; allow to simmer and thicken, about a minute. Serve warm over your rice bowls. (If you find that the sauce is too thick when it cools, just add a little more teriyaki sauce to it.).
This recipe was absolutely fantastic! I doubled the recipe for a family gathering and it received rave reviews from young and old. I will definitely make this again...and again! Thanks for sharing!