Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a tortilla soup without tortillas! I have tried tortilla soup after tortilla soup and while they have all been good, none of them were exactly what I crave in a soup! So on a Monday night after baseball practice I pulled this recipe out of my head and to my surprise it's destined to be my favorite of all time. The Sofrito Sauce is a common Spanish rice ingredient and is found in the Spanish food aisle of most grocery stores. Goya is the brand I used. I also recommend using Tostitos Cantina Roasted Garlic Salsa! It's amazing! Serve this topped with fried tortilla strips, cilantro, avocado, sharp cheddar cheese, or any other sort of common tortilla soup topping!
- 1. Dice onions and sauté in soup pan in 1 tsp oil until soft (about 3 minutes).
- 2. Add Chicken Broth, water, salsa, Sofrito Sauce, garlic salt, red pepper flakes, and cumin. Bring to a boil.
- 3. Cut chicken into small pieces (or use shredded), season with Tony Chachere’s More Spice, add to simmering soup and cook until chicken is done (About 15 minutes).
- 4. Add Rice when Chicken is cooked through, bring back up to a boil, reduce heat and cover, simmer for 15 more minutes.
- 5. Serve with your choice of tortilla chips, cilantro, sharp cheddar, avocado, etc.