Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
Hands down one of our family's favorite meals.
- 3 lbs chicken breasts (or your choice of chicken pieces)
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 lb angel hair pasta
- 1 cup fresh sliced mushrooms (a little more at our house, can also use canned mushroom pieces in a pinch)
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans low-fat cream of mushroom soup
- 3 -4 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Boil chicken pieces in 2 quarts of water, along with the chopped onion.
- Cook until tender, and meat is easily torn or shredded.
- Remove chicken from the pot.
- Set aside to cool a bit.
- Leave the broth in the pot- DO NOT DISCARD THE BROTH.
- Tear or shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Saute the mushrooms in the butter in a small skillet.
- Season well with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- In a sauce pan, melt the Velveeta with the cream of mushroom soup, combining until smooth.
- Strain the onion pieces from the reserved broth.
- Boil the angel hair pasta in this broth, according to manufacturer's directions. Do not drain.
- Mix everything together - shredded chicken, mushrooms, pasta (in broth), and Velveeta mixture.
- Pour into large lasagna pan or other large casserole dish.
- Top with the grated cheddar cheese.
- Bake 30 min at 350.