Recipe by okeedokee
This chicken spaghetti is a bit spicier than some recipes. It makes enough to serve 10-12 generously. It's great for a potluck or casual family dinner. The spiciest version is with hot Rotel tomatoes and pepper jack cheese. Kids would probably like it better with mild Rotel and simple grated cheddar. I freeze it in 4 separate casseroles for my little family. Serve with a crisp green salad and corn sticks for a great meal. Make this the night before your party, cover and refrigerate. Just add 10 minutes to your baking time.
- 6 chicken breasts, boneless skinless, cooked and chopped in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium green pepper, diced small
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) can Ro-Tel tomatoes
- 1 lb Velveeta Mexican cheese, cubed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon instant chicken bouillon or 2 bouillon cubes
- 12 ounces spaghetti, broken into 2-inch pieces cooked al dente and drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring chicken to a boil in large pot. Reduce to simmer and cook for 45 minutes. Remove chicken from pot and let cool. Leave broth in pot. Dice chicken when cool enough to handle.
- In medium pan saute green pepper in butter until crisp tender. Reduce heat to medium low. Add chicken broth, Ro-tel tomatoes, mushroom soup, cumin and Velveeta cheese. Stir frequently until all is combined and melted. Set aside.
- Add bouillon to pot containing broth from cooked chicken. Add enough water to fill pot 2/3 full. Add spaghetti and cook until al dente. Drain spaghetti.
- In very large bowl ( I use the top of my tupperware cake taker) place spaghetti and then chicken. Pour cheese sauce over all and combine well.
- Place in large deep lasagna pan or 2 9 x 13 pans that have been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Crush tortilla chips in a plastic bag and add grated cheese and paprika. and shake closed bag well. Spread over top of casserole evenly.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 35-45 minutes until casserole is bubbly and topping has started to brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- * Cooking time does not include cooking chicken breasts.