Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
I adopted this recipe from the Recipezaar account because I am always on the lookout for quick and easy meals. The original introduction was: "A budget recipe that’s better than take-out and just as easy. Serve these fragrant chicken thighs over rice."
- Heat a 12-inch skillet one minute over medium-high heat; add thighs skin down.
- Cook 10-12 minutes.
- Turn and cook 8-10 minutes longer until browned.
- Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Remove all but 1 tbsp drippings from skillet.
- Add onion.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cook stirring for 12 minutes until onions are tender.
- Return chicken to skillet; pour soy sauce and water over chicken and onions.
- Cover; simmer for 15 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to plate with slotted spoon.
- Cook sauce 1 minute more.
- Pour over top of chicken.
We loved this. I had no idea such wonderful flavors could come out of only soy sauce and onions. Not to mention a cheaper piece of meat. This chicken is simply wonderful. Thanks!
I halved the recipe for 2 people, so I'm not sure if that's why my chicken turned out the way it did. Using 4 chicken thighs, it called for 1/4 cup of soy sauce (I used Kikkoman's Reduced Sodium) and the recipe called for only 1/8 cup of water. I thought that sounded like too little, so I used 1/4 cup. As it cooked, the water evaporated quickly, so I would add a bit more here and there as I saw fit. I covered the pan and left it to simmer for 5 minutes and then checked up on it, only to find that the water cooked off again and the soy sauce was beginning to burn. I had the stove on medium-low as instructed, so I don't know why it burned so quickly. I didn't spoon the sauce over the chicken at the end (because it had burned a bit) but the actual flavor of the chicken turned out fine. Not sure if I will use this recipe again, but thank you for posting it anyway.
Great stuff with so few, and such cheap ingredients. I did add a bit more water, which I then cooked off, to avoid sticking. I served this with Chinese noodles, but it would also be good with regualr pasta and a green vegetable, or amybe even with mashed potatoes. You need to like onions to like it, but it is a winner.