Prep 4 hrs
Cook 12 mins
Serve these kabobs as an appetizer with the sauce for dipping, or as sandwiches. Slather the sauce on warmed pita and place the chicken in the pockets along with sliced tomatoes and red onion.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into bit-sized pieces
- 6 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- 1⁄2 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and grated
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- For the marinade: Combine olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper; place in a large re-sealable plastic bag. Add chicken pieces to the bag, re-seal, and massage the marinade into the chicken. Let marinate in refrigerator for at least 3 hours, and up to 5 hours, turning and massaging bag occasionally.
- Prepare the sauce: Combine all ingredients and refrigerate for at least 1 to 2 hours to allow the flavors to develop.
- Soak 6 wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes OR have 6 metal skewers ready.
- Heat grill to medium-high and lightly oil the grate.
- Remove chicken pieces from marinade and thread onto the skewers, discarding the unused marinade.
- Grill kabobs for about 6 minutes per side, until chicken is no longer pink in the center.
- Serve with tzatziki sauce for dipping, or make pita sandwiches.
Wonderful Souvlaki!!! I made this recipe as written, but scaled back for 1/4 of the recipe. The only change I made was to put some onion slices between the chicken chunks and then I basted them all with the marinade for the 1st half of grilling. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for NKOTB Tag Game.