Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
An easy and delicious way to recreate your favorite Greek restaurant dish at home. This Mediterranean-flavored recipe can be served buffet-style allowing your guests to make their own.
Top Review by Lavender Lynn
Eating the second of these messy wonders as I write. Combining Souvlaki flavors with the Gyro sandwich format is a great idea and makes good eating. We had a little trouble splitting the pita, but it works just as well to just wrap the pita around everything taco-style. Loved it. Made for ZWT 9.
- 177.44 ml balsamic vinaigrette dressing
- 44.37 ml lemon juice
- 14.79 ml dried oregano
- 2.46 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
TZATZIKI SAUCE (CUCUMBER SAUCE)
- 118.29 ml seeded and shredded cucumber
- 4.92 ml kosher salt
- 236.59 ml plain yogurt
- 59.14 ml sour cream
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 7.39 ml rice vinegar
- 4.92 ml olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh dill
- 2.46 ml all purpose Greek seasoning
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 large pita bread rounds
- 1 romaine lettuce hearts, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tomatoes, halved and sliced
- 118.29 ml kalamata olive
- 118.29 ml pepperoncini pepper
- 236.59 ml crumbled feta cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, mix the balsamic vinaigrette, juice from 1/2 lemon, oregano, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Place chicken in a large resealable plastic bag. Pour marinade over the chicken, seal, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat.
- Toss the shredded cucumber with 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and allow to sit at least 5 minutes. In a medium bowl, mix the yogurt, sour cream, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, rice vinegar, and olive oil. Season with garlic, fresh dill, and Greek seasoning. Squeeze the cucumber to remove any excess water; stir into sauce. Season to taste with kosher salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Remove chicken from marinade and place on prepared grill. Discard remaining marinade. Cook chicken until juices run clear, about 8 minutes on each side. Remove chicken from heat, and allow to sit about 10 minutes before slicing into thin strips.
- Place pita rounds on the grill, and cook for about 2 minutes, until warm, turning frequently to avoid burning. Arrange warm pita, sliced chicken, lettuce, onion, tomato, olives, and pepperoncini on a serving platter. Serve tzatziki sauce and feta cheese in separate bowls on the side. Stuff pita pockets with chicken and toppings to serve.