1/1 Photo of Chicken Souvlaki Gyro Style
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
An easy and delicious way to recreate your favorite Greek restaurant dish at home. This Mediterranean-flavored recipe can be served buffet-style allowing your guests to make their own.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette dressing
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
TZATZIKI SAUCE (CUCUMBER SAUCE)
- 1/2 cup seeded and shredded cucumber
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon all purpose Greek seasoning
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1In a small bowl, mix the balsamic vinaigrette, juice from 1/2 lemon, oregano, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Place chicken in a large resealable plastic bag. Pour marinade over the chicken, seal, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- 2Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat.
- 3Toss the shredded cucumber with 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and allow to sit at least 5 minutes. In a medium bowl, mix the yogurt, sour cream, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, rice vinegar, and olive oil. Season with garlic, fresh dill, and Greek seasoning. Squeeze the cucumber to remove any excess water; stir into sauce. Season to taste with kosher salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- 4Remove chicken from marinade and place on prepared grill. Discard remaining marinade. Cook chicken until juices run clear, about 8 minutes on each side. Remove chicken from heat, and allow to sit about 10 minutes before slicing into thin strips.
- 5Place pita rounds on the grill, and cook for about 2 minutes, until warm, turning frequently to avoid burning. Arrange warm pita, sliced chicken, lettuce, onion, tomato, olives, and pepperoncini on a serving platter. Serve tzatziki sauce and feta cheese in separate bowls on the side. Stuff pita pockets with chicken and toppings to serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Souvlaki Gyro Style
Serving Size: 1 (620 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 759.5
- Calories from Fat 393
- Total Fat 43.6 g
- Saturated Fat 14.0 g
- Cholesterol 124.3 mg
- Sodium 1692.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 11.8 g
- Protein 41.3 g