1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 15 mins
If you like, serve with lemon wedges, rice and greek salad. If using wooden skewers, soak in water first to prevent burning.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and grated
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- fresh ground black pepper (as suggested or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1 inch cubes (approx 1 1/3 lb)
- 4 pocketless pitas
- 6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 small onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 tomatoes, cut into thin wedges
- 1/3 cup pitted black olives, halved
- 1In a glass bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, 1/4 tsp of salt, and 1/4 tsp of pepper.
- 2Add the chicken, mix well, cover in plastic wrap and marinade in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- 3Mix the cucumber with 1 teaspoon of the salt in a glass bowl.
- 4Put aside.
- 5Line a large strainer or collander with paper tower, place over a bowl.
- 6Fill with the yogurt and place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- 7Preheat grill.
- 8When the yogurt is ready, squeeze the cucumber to remove excess liquid.
- 9Mix the cucumber, yogurt, the garlic, 1/8 tsp of pepper (or to taste), and the dill.
- 10refrigerate until use.
- 11Thread the chicken onto skewers, grill over high heat, turning once, until done, approx 5-6 minutes.
- 12Remove the chicken from the grill and set aside.
- 13Butter both sides of the pitas and grill on both sides until golden approx 4 minutes.
- 14Cut pitas into quarters.
- 15Place pitas on plates, Top with onion, tomatoes and skewers.
- 16Serve with the tzatziki (the cucumber mixture) and the olives.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Souvlaki
Serving Size: 1 (499 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 628.5
- Calories from Fat 285
- Total Fat 31.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 130.1 mg
- Sodium 1407.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 38.5 g