Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
If you like, serve with lemon wedges, rice and greek salad. If using wooden skewers, soak in water first to prevent burning.
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and grated
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- fresh ground black pepper (as suggested or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried dill
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1 inch cubes (approx 1 1/3 lb)
- 4 pocketless pitas
- 6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 small onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 tomatoes, cut into thin wedges
- 1⁄3 cup pitted black olives, halved
- In a glass bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, 1/4 tsp of salt, and 1/4 tsp of pepper.
- Add the chicken, mix well, cover in plastic wrap and marinade in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Mix the cucumber with 1 teaspoon of the salt in a glass bowl.
- Put aside.
- Line a large strainer or collander with paper tower, place over a bowl.
- Fill with the yogurt and place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Preheat grill.
- When the yogurt is ready, squeeze the cucumber to remove excess liquid.
- Mix the cucumber, yogurt, the garlic, 1/8 tsp of pepper (or to taste), and the dill.
- refrigerate until use.
- Thread the chicken onto skewers, grill over high heat, turning once, until done, approx 5-6 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and set aside.
- Butter both sides of the pitas and grill on both sides until golden approx 4 minutes.
- Cut pitas into quarters.
- Place pitas on plates, Top with onion, tomatoes and skewers.
- Serve with the tzatziki (the cucumber mixture) and the olives.
i just had this for dinner.oh my god...so goooood
Halved the recipe for two people. Used an English Cucumber (10inch). Very good recipe, worth keeping, next time will try with chicken tenderloin strips on skewers. Served with a great Greek salad and Greek Green Beans (20612).