1/1 Photo of Chicken & Southern-Style Noodles
Old fashioned Southern chicken and noodles
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 bone-in skin-on chicken breasts
- 20 baby carrots
- 3 celery ribs
- 1 whole sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons real butter
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley
- 4 eggs
- 2 pinches salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons ice cold water
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1Dice celery, carrots and onion and place in large stock pot.
- 2Add chicken breast, 6 cups chicken broth and 5 cups water, basil, salt and pepper to taste and 2 TBS butter.
- 3Bring to a boil then turn to medium to medium high heat and boil for 1 1/2 hour.
- 4While chicken is boiling make noodles.
- 5In large mixing bowl add 2 cups flour, parsley, eggs, 2 pinches of salt and 1/2 tsp ground pepper, shortening and stir.
- 6Once dough starts to form flour both hands and knead. Keep adding additional flour a little at a time until the dough quits sticking to your hands.
- 7Turn dough onto floured surface and with a floured rolling pin roll to 1/8 inch thickness.
- 8Using a pizza cutter cut noddles into thin 1 - 1 1/2 inch strips
- 9Lightly dust with flour.
- 10Sprinkle with onion powder.
- 11Cover with paper towels and let dry.
- 12Take chicken out of pot and let cool then de-bone and shred using two forks to shred
- 13Add chicken back to pot and bring back to a boil.
- 14Add the additional chicken broth and water and bring back up to a boil.
- 15Add noodles one at a time quickly to pot.
- 16In a small dish mix the cornstarch and cold water and make into a slurry then add to stock pot.
- 17Stir noodles every couple minutes to keep noodles from sticking to each other and cook for 20-30 minutes.
- 18Take one noodle out and taste to see if it's done which you can tell by it's firmness and less floury taste.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken & Southern-Style Noodles
Serving Size: 1 (613 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 435.0
- Calories from Fat 127
- Total Fat 14.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 99.0 mg
- Sodium 951.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 20.8 g