1/2 Photos of Chicken & Sourdough Dumplings
A nice change from traditional chicken and dumplings. A little more work, but worth the effort. Can easily be increased to accomodate more.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup sourdough starter
- 1/4 cup oil or 1/4 cup melted shortening
- 2 quarts boiling water
- 1Chicken: Over medium heat add flour to melted shortening.
- 2Stir constantly while adding all other ingredients except chicken.
- 3Add chicken, pour into a 3-quart casserole dish.
- 4Dumplings: In large mixing bowl thoroughly stir together flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- 5Combine milk, egg, sourdough starter, and oil.
- 6Add to dry ingredients all at once, stirring just till moistened.
- 7Drop dough from tbsp into boiling water (dip spoon in hot liquid before dropping dumpling each time to help batter slide right off).
- 8Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 9Remove with slotted spoon, drain and place on top of cooked chicken.
- 10Cook, uncovered in over, at 350º for 10 minutes.
- 11Serve hot.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken & Sourdough Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (609 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 839.1
- Calories from Fat 372
- Total Fat 41.3 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 146.1 mg
- Sodium 1214.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 38.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: