Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Yummy winter soup! I have never made this with parsnips but I included it in the ingredients because the original recipe lists it. YOu could use vegetable stock and leave the chicken out for a vegetarian version. From Food and Wine.
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 3⁄4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast half
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1 large egg
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large carrot, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large parsnip, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 small butternut squash, peeled,seeded and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large turnip, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 leek, white and tender green parts only,halved lengthwise and cut into 1 inch pieces
- In a large pot, bring the chicken stock to a simmer.
- Add the chicken breasts and simmer over moderate heat until just cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate to cool slightly, then pull into shreds.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix the flours with the Parmesan, milk and egg.
- Season with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
- Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/4-inch round tip.
- (I use a ziploc bag with a corner cut out).
- Add the carrot, parsnip, squash and turnip to the stock and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover partially and cook over moderate heat until the vegetables are just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the leek and cook until tender.
- Holding the pastry bag in 1 hand and a table knife in the other, cut 1-inch lengths of the dumpling dough into the simmering soup.
- When all of the dough has been added, stir gently and cook until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken, cook until heated through and serve.