Yummy winter soup! I have never made this with parsnips but I included it in the ingredients because the original recipe lists it. YOu could use vegetable stock and leave the chicken out for a vegetarian version. From Food and Wine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast half
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1 large egg
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large carrot, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large parsnip, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 small butternut squash, peeled,seeded and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large turnip, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 leek, white and tender green parts only,halved lengthwise and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1In a large pot, bring the chicken stock to a simmer.
- 2Add the chicken breasts and simmer over moderate heat until just cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- 3Transfer the chicken to a plate to cool slightly, then pull into shreds.
- 4Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix the flours with the Parmesan, milk and egg.
- 5Season with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
- 6Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/4-inch round tip.
- 7(I use a ziploc bag with a corner cut out).
- 8Add the carrot, parsnip, squash and turnip to the stock and season with salt and pepper.
- 9Cover partially and cook over moderate heat until the vegetables are just tender, about 10 minutes.
- 10Add the leek and cook until tender.
- 11Holding the pastry bag in 1 hand and a table knife in the other, cut 1-inch lengths of the dumpling dough into the simmering soup.
- 12When all of the dough has been added, stir gently and cook until tender, about 2 minutes.
- 13Add the shredded chicken, cook until heated through and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Soup With Whole Wheat Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (534 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 293.5
- Calories from Fat 62
- Total Fat 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 78.4 mg
- Sodium 598.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 9.1 g
- Protein 24.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: