Recipe by Cristie B
One spoonful of our take on “instant soup,” and you’ll never want to buy the canned or dried kind again. It’s simple; cook tortellini in chicken stock until tender, swirl with a hint of pesto and pile high with Parmesan. It’s ready in 30 minutes or less, but tastes like took-all-day soup.
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups tortellini (refrigerated or frozen)
- 1 -2 cup cooked chicken (chopped or shredded)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 ounces basil pesto
- parmesan cheese, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy saucepan, bring water and broth to a boil.
- Add sliced green onion and tortellini. Cook until tortellini is tender, about 10 minutes.
- During the last 2 minutes of cooking, add chicken. Season soup with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls, then swirl in a dollop of pesto (about 1 teaspoon). Top generously with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Tip: For extra kick, substitute 1-2 cups spicy chicken sausage, crumbled and cooked. Or make it vegetarian with 1-2 cups fresh mozzarella balls (known as bocconcini) and 4 cups vegetable broth.