1/1 Photo of Chicken Soup With Spinach, Eggplant & Tomato
2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This super-foods-packed soup helps the body recuperate and satisfies the soul. David makes this for me after the flu, a nasty migraine, or even just a tough day. Great on blustery days, too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cups chicken broth (preferably homemade)
- 2 cups boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 small Japanese eggplants, peeled and cubed
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt & pepper
- 1Place eggplant in a large colander and sprinkle lightly with salt. Let stand for 30 minutes (sweating the eggplant). Rinse thoroughly to remove salt and drain well.
- 2In a large non-stick pot, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil and garlic over medium heat, being careful not to burn the garlic (approx. 2 minutes).
- 3Add eggplant to pot and saute for 12 minutes.
- 4Add onion; saute until translucent.
- 5Add diced tomatoes (including liquid), dried thyme, and salt & pepper. Bring to boil. Then, simmer for 30 minutes stirring often and gently to break up tomatoes.
- 6Meanwhile, place thawed spinach into colander and use your hands to squeeze out any excess water; set aside.
- 7Add chicken broth, chicken, and spinach. Simmer 30 minutes.
- 8Serve with crusty French bread.
- 9NOTES: Eggplant is a thirsty vegetable and will soak up olive oil when sauteing. Do not be afraid to add extra oil as needed. If using store-bought chicken broth, then reduce to 4 cups and add 2 cups water.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Soup With Spinach, Eggplant & Tomato
Serving Size: 1 (383 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 129.7
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 502.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 6.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
boneless skinless chicken breasts