1/1 Photo of Chicken Soup With Rice or Noodles
4 hrs 30 mins
I adapted this from a WW cookbook for my parents who always get chicken with rice soup. It is best when made totally from scratch and the chicken is cooked in a crock-pot but can be made using a store roasted chicken. I have also used red leaf lettuce and spinach in place of the escarole.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 -4 lb) chicken
- 1 (48 ounce) can chicken broth (I use Swanson's low fat)
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 carrot
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 pinch sage
- 1 pinch thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 -3 carrots, coarsely grated
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup short-grain rice or 2 cups Reames frozen noodles
- 1 head escarole, washed and coarsely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1Remove excess fat and giblets from the chicken and discard.
- 2In a 5-qt. crock-pot combine the chicken broth, chicken, celery, carrot, saffron, sage, thyme, bay leaf and kosher salt.
- 3Cook on high for 4-5 hours or until the chicken falls off the bone. Remove the chicken and cool; debone and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- 4Strain the broth through a sieve lined with 2 paper towels, this removes the sediment and some of the fat. This can be done a day ahead and more fat can be removed from the top of the chilled broth.
- 5In a large sauce pan heat the oil over medium-high heat, saute the onion, carrots and celery until the onion is transulent.
- 6Add the strained broth and bring to a boil.
- 7Add the rice or noodles and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- 8Stir in the chicken, cover; simmer until the rice/noodles are tender and the chicken is heated through.
- 9Remove from heat and add the escarole; cover and set aside until the escarole wilts, about 2 minutes.
- 10Add salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Soup With Rice or Noodles
Serving Size: 1 (650 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 698.4
- Calories from Fat 324
- Total Fat 36.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 155.2 mg
- Sodium 2246.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 50.4 g