Sue's Kitchen's Note:
This recipe is from a Pillsbury Classic cookbook and, with a few minor modifications, I wanted to share it. It is a truly home-made with love chicken soup. I am making it today because....I feel a cold coming on and just want to curl up with a steaming bowl of deliciousness!! :-) I suppose you could make this in a crock pot but the thought of a soup pot on the stove is comfort in itself!! (Note: If you prefer noodles to rice, add 1 cup of uncooked egg noodles during last 10 minutes of cooking time).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2-3 lbs frying chicken, cut up
- 10 cups water (or you can use half chicken broth and half water)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 peppercorns or 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh parsley (optional) or 1 -2 tablespoon sliced green onion (optional)
- 1Combine chicken and water in large pot. Bring to a boil. Skimm off any scum that rises to the top.
- 2Reduce heat to med/low; cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- 3Add onion, salt, thyme, bay leaf, garlic and peppercorns. Simmer covered for additional 35 to 45 minutes or until chicken falls off the bone.
- 4Remove chicken, bay leaf and peppercorns from broth; cool.
- 5Remove chicken from bones; cut into bite size pieces.
- 6Skim fat from broth. You may want to put broth into the fridge for several hours or overnight. It is easier to remove the fat.
- 7Bring broth to a boil. Stir in chicken pieces, celery, carrots and rice - I add a little more onion too. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until veggies/rice are tender. I add the peas for the last 10 minutes. If you are using noodles instead of rice, add uncooked noodles at this stage.
- 8Add parsley or green onion if desired.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Soup With Rice from Scratch
Serving Size: 1 (499 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 370.4
- Calories from Fat 193
- Total Fat 21.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 106.4 mg
- Sodium 134.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 28.0 g