Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A kid-friendly and easy version of Italian wedding soup. From March 2007 Family Fun magazine.
Make and share this Chicken Soup With Mini-Meatballs recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 lb ground turkey
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup onion, finely minced
- 1⁄2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup orzo pasta or 1 cup Italian pastina
- 1 (10 ounce) package fresh spinach, washed trimmed and torn into bite-size pieces
- In a large bowl, mix the ground turkey, water, egg, 1/3 cup onion, bread crumbs, cheese, salt and pepper to taste.
- Shape the mixture into small 1-inch meatballs.
- In a large pot, combine the broth, carrots, celery, 1/2 large onion and bring them to a simmer. Add the orzo and let it cook for 5 minutes (pastina takes 2 minutes), stirring frequently.
- Add the meatballs and simmer them in broth for 15-20 minutes. Then stir in the spinach and simmer it until it's wilted, about 1 minute.
- (I also have added fresh parsley to the soup when I have it! - about 1/4 cup chopped).
I love this soup and could eat it all day long. Even my picky hubby who frowns at spinach eats it without complaint. We freeze a lot of leftovers for easy meals and this is one of my favorites. Thanks for a great meal.
Excellent!!!! Sauteed the carrots with a little bit of diced onion, fennel and garlic before adding the broth. Wonderful flavor...very comforting! Will be making this again...Thanks!
Delicious and totally easy. This froze well, too.